Home » Local News, Rotating Features

Cheboygan Co. Sheriff “We will get through this”

Submitted by on April 8, 2020 – 12:16 amNo Comment

PRESS RELEASE FROM CHEBOYGAN COUNTY SHERIFF’S OFFICE:

Cheboygan County Sheriff Dale Clarmont is telling citizens to continue social distancing and follow the Governor’s Stay At Home orders.

“Covid-19 is reaching across northern Michigan with several cases now in Cheboygan County and we all have to do our part and take this serious,” said Clarmont.

The Sheriff said his office is receiving many calls asking what constitutes an ‘essential business’. “People are concerned for their safety so I am asking all citizens to do the right thing. All businesses that feel they are essential and are open will be noted and now with the new order from the Governor, all open businesses must screen anyone
coming in,” said Clarmont.

The Sheriff said his department is working with the District 4 Health Department to ensure the citizens are well informed. “We have at least three teleconferences a week with the Health Department and McLaren to ensure we are doing all we can to protect the citizens of the county,” said Clarmont.

Sheriff Clarmont also stated his department is working closely with the Michigan State Emergency Operations Center. “I have directed my Emergency Management Coordinator Sgt. Patrick Holt to coordinate with the SEOC to submit for any PPE supplies that should be afforded to us,” said Clarmont. “So far through the SEOC and private donations we have obtained 66,000 latex gloves, 178 face shields, 294 masks, and 22 gowns,”

The Sheriff said his department has been in close contact with several entities including all the senior living, adult foster care and long term nursing facilities along with McLaren Hospice House and all first responders in the County. “All supplies we have received have been delivered to these facilities to do what needs to be done to limit the spread of Covid-19,” said Clarmont.

The Sheriff stated they have submitted for several thousand more PPE items through the SEOC and are waiting for those supplies as they become available. “Sgt. Patrick Holt and Deputy Ronald Fenlon have been doing a tremendous job making sure our orders are in and then being delivered to the facilities and first responders,” said Clarmont.
“Again I want the citizens to be well informed, follow the orders from the Governor-stay at home unless out getting needed supplies and practicing social distancing. Businesses that are open need to ensure they are recognized as an ‘essential business’, and make sure they screen people coming in and also make sure social distancing is taking place in their business,” said Clarmont.

“We will have some tough times but we will get through this if we take this serious and all do our part,” said Clarmont.