Home » Local News, Rotating Features

Alpena’s dog park to be named after early lumber baron

Submitted by Phil Heimerl on August 9, 2018 – 12:56 amNo Comment
Share

The new dog park under construction in Alpena will be named after a local man who was a part of the city’s early lumber history.

The municipal council this week, approved naming the park after Thomas Stafford who passed away in 1900.

The family of Stafford approached the city with a $25,000 donation toward the park and a request to name it after their great-great-grandfather.

Stafford managed the F.W. Gilchrist Lumber Company, and at one time the family owned a home on the same property as the dog park, which is located at North Riverfront Park, behind the post office.

The $25,000 donation will be used for immediate upgrades at the park, and the balance will be set aside for future repairs and/or upgrades.

The city will be installing a plaque commemorating Stafford and the donation to the park, which is expected to open in the not so distant future.

Family members who made the donation on behalf of Stafford wish to remain anonymous.

RSS feed

Comments

No comments yet.

Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.