Home » Local News, Rotating Features

Burning garbage apparent cause of Rogers City house fire

Submitted by Phil Heimerl on April 4, 2011 – 6:36 amNo Comment
Share

A Rogers City home was damaged by fire Friday, apparently after some burning garbage got out of control.

Firefighters were called to the residence on Ristow Highway shortly after noon and found some of the siding on the house smoldering.  The fire extended into the home and a thermal imaging camera was used to locate several hot spots in the floor.

The fire department was on scene for about an hour and a half.  The residents of the home were able to escape. 

Chief Mike Kroll said the home was over 100 years-old and had several additions making it difficult to find the fire.  He said the property owners were burning garbage and it appears the fire moved to some dry grass and eventually to the house.  Kroll said residents should use extreme caution when burning outdoors.

Posen Fire, the Presque Isle County Sheriff’s Department and Allied Ambulance assisted at the scene.

RSS feed

Comments

No comments yet.

Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.