Home » Local News, Rotating Features

Authentic Mexican restaurant to open in Alpena

Submitted by Phil Heimerl on January 4, 2011 – 6:09 am13 Comments

An authentic Mexican restaurant is coming to Alpena.

Los Cuatro Amigos is moving into the former Hunan’s Chinese Restaurant location on State Street.  Dave Kneeshaw, who also owns the Grand China Buffet property, purchased the building within the past 30 days and signed a 7-year deal with Los Quatro Amigos owner Frederico (Freddie) Gomez.

Gomez is footing the bill for most of the interior renovations and will add a covered deck to the backside of the building, facing the lake.  That add-on is contingent upon an easement from the City of Alpena.  The second floor of the building is also undergoing a remodel and may be used for private parties, banquets and over-flow.

The new restaurant is expected to create 15 to 18 full-time jobs and 6 to 8 part-time.  It will be open 7-days a week for lunch and dinner.

Gomez hopes to have the restaurant open by Memorial Day weekend, if a liquor license can be secured by that time.

Los Cuatro Amigos has other locations in Michigan, including East Tawas, Bay City and Saginaw.  The first Los Cuatro Amigos opened in January 2001, in Owensboro, Kentucky.  The first one in Michigan opened in January 2003, in Bay City.

RSS feed

13 Comments

Comment by noitall
2011-01-03 17:12:04

Wonderful news! Finally! Something this area has needed for some time. Can’t wait to sink my teeth into authentic Mexican table fare.

Comment by freeby4me
2011-01-03 18:05:18

Very cool, can always use more jobs and more restaurants!!

Comment by RuKiddingME
2011-01-03 19:42:55

Thank you, Dave. And good luck to Mr. Gomez on his business venture here.

Shameful to have watched that building empty. Prime waterfront property.

Comment by Captain Picard
2011-01-03 20:30:44

Nice, will be a good addition to Alpena.

Comment by toewinger
2011-01-04 09:03:16

Positive or not, it’s just an opinion. There are chains of Hunan Restaurants and some are good and some not. It depends on the cook. While I’m glad the property is being utilized, and a covered deck sounds wonderful, some “chain” foods are lousy. Offering a different cuisine is a plus. JMO

Comment by shredder
2011-01-04 10:04:52

The first one in Bay City was good, not great, but good when it opened. The second & third time I ate there it went downhill fast. Not sure if it was toned down for a reason or not. Tawas is the same. I truely love Mexican food, And I wish this place was better. But truthfully, they serve bland meals with a hint of taste. Compared with top notch south of the border food they just don’t make it. And no one would appreciate a spicey seafood taco more than me. I hope the Alpena store does better…..shredder

Comment by pearlethesquirrel
2011-01-04 23:55:35

I’ve eaten at Tawas and have never had a bad experience. It was delicious! I’m excited!

Comment by annlouise11
2011-01-05 12:38:00

I don’t know where your Mexican food experience was Shredder, my experiences were in the kitchen of a very traditional Mexican family. The idea that all Mexican food is spicy and hot is a myth. They do have a bland diet for the most part – beans, tortillas, vegetables… it isn’t all hot and spicy!

Comment by yourwrong
2011-01-05 14:37:15

sitting on the deck sunday morning having a few margarita’s overlooking lake huron. Sounds like a plan

Comment by freeby4me
2011-01-05 14:49:30

Well, Sunday afternoon as they’ll be open for Lunch and Dinner but I agree, sounds good.

2011-01-05 14:49:31

Several posts have had to be removed because they contained names of businesses not mentioned in the above article. Please review our Terms of Use for further clarification.

Comment by glyph
2011-01-05 16:17:29

While I’m glad SOMETHING is going into the empty building, I personally would much rather have a good seafood restaurant. There isn’t a place in town that I know of that serves crab legs or lobster. Good luck to them, though. I’m not a big fan of Mexican food but anything new is better than nothing.

Comment by clarkmarik
2011-01-23 22:37:21

Dear Mr. Gomez,

I am excited about having an authentic Mexican restaurant in Alpena! We sooooo need one! I love Tex-Mex and sure do miss it! Would it be possible to add sopapillas to your menu, please, if it is not already on the list? It has been impossible to find any place around that serves them or even knows what they are! Oh, and tomatilla sauce for mi enchiladas too! Mmmmmmmm!!!!

Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.