Home » Local News, Rotating Features

Design for $13.6M terminal at Alpena airport unveiled

Submitted by Phil Heimerl on March 12, 2018 – 12:56 amNo Comment

The design for a new $13.6 million passenger terminal at Alpena County Regional Airport has been unveiled.

The architect still needs to complete the infrastructure of the building, including all electrical and mechanical components, but drawings of the facade of the building are complete.

Those drawings can be viewed below.

The Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) is expected to fund 95 percent of the total costs of the new terminal.  The county and the Michigan Department of Transportation will split the remaining 5 percent, which equates to $340,000 each.

Airport manager Steve Smigelski says the completed design package will be sent to the FAA for review in July.  He hopes to receive approval from the FAA by October.

The current terminal was constructed in 1952 and is too small and missing some key components.  The county claims a new terminal in needed to better accommodate both staff and passengers.

RSS feed


No comments yet.

Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.